Fluoride mouth rinses are a recommended component of oral hygiene for orthodontic patients. However, it is unclear how many patients are aware of fluoride mouth rinses and how often they use them. Methods:
A cross-sectional study was conducted to assess the knowledge and practice of fluoride mouth rinses in orthodontic patients. A total of 100 patients were included in the study, and data were collected using a self-administered questionnaire. Descriptive statistics were used to analyze the data, and chi-square tests were performed to identify significant differences. Results:
The majority of orthodontic patients (78%) were aware of fluoride mouth rinses, but only 42% reported using them regularly as recommended. The remaining 58% reported either irregular use or no use of fluoride mouth rinses. Conclusion:
The study found that although a majority of orthodontic patients are aware of fluoride mouth rinses, there is a gap between knowledge and practice. Forgetfulness and dislike of the taste were the main reasons for irregular or non-use of fluoride mouth rinses. Targeted education and counselling could help bridge this gap and promote regular use of fluoride mouth rinses among orthodontic patients.